Test Your Savvy on … HIV/AIDS
Determine if the following statements are true or false. The correct answers appear below.
1. The HIV/AIDS epidemic affects people of all ages, races, and sexual preferences.
2. Lambskin condoms offer the best protection against HIV infection.
3. People can spread HIV through urine, sweat, tears, and saliva.
4. Most HIV-positive people live normal, active lives for years after infection.
1. True. An estimated 1.1 million people are living with HIV in the United States.
2. False. Lambskin condoms do not protect against HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. Latex condoms provide the best protection from the virus.
3. False. Only certain bodily fluids can transmit HIV. These include blood, semen, preseminal fluid, rectal fluids, vaginal fluids, and breast milk. The virus is most commonly spread through unprotected sex and needle or syringe use.
4. True. For many HIV-positive people, symptoms serious enough to constitute an AIDS diagnosis begin to appear eight to 10 years after infection.